Sunday, March 5, 2017

The story of adding Bengali Jatiyo Keyboard Layout support to parabola-arch GNU/Linux

I tried parabola-arch GNU/Linux or just parabola and liked its Mate Desktop wallpaper and it is a rolling release, so decided to keep it :). But find it hard to setup a work environment there and one of the challenge is setting up the preferred keyboard layout which is in my case "Bangla Jatiyo Layout" or just "Jatiyo Layout", btw "Jatiyo" means National in Bengali. So I did a little digging and found that Bengali/Bangla keyboard support is available through ibus system and the specific package is ibus-m17n. But it supports up to six Bengali Keyboard layouts except Jatiyo layout. So I reached the m17n project team here https://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/m17n and subscribed to their mailing list and mailed them requesting to add support for Bengali Jatiyo keyboard layout. And they replied that it is easy to add support for a keyboard layout in ibus-m17n and I can do it by myself. All I have to do is first create a ".m17n.d" directory in my home folder and then map the desired keyboard layout correctly to a mim file and save it in that ".m17n.d" directory and restart the ibus engine and Viola, the layout will be available to use, easy as pie (though they do not know I find it hard to make a pie :p). So I did exactly as they told, I created a mim file as "Jatiyo.mim" with the correct mapping of Jatiyo Keyboard Layout and saved it under ~/.m17n.d/ and restarted ibus and bingo, the Jatiyo keyboard layout is there, So I just selected the Jatiyo keyboard layout from Bengali layout options and started using it, thanks to the m17n project and the team :).

No comments:

Post a Comment